Friday 27 August 2010

Here they come

It was only a matter of time before the birds started to visit my hide again, I have not been putting a lot of food about but I have kept a couple of wire feeders topped up with nuts, and one with sunflower hearts. I arrived to find them all empty which was no surprise as I have been away for a week or so, but it was pleasing to see the birds come in as soon as I filled the feeders.
The blue tits were the first quickly followed by the Green finch.

Blue tit

Green Finch
Chiff Chaff


Nice to see so many juvenile birds around, although I guess they will get thinned out a little as the Winter goes on. I became aware of a movement in the Hawthorn hedge to my right, at first I thought it was a Squirrel as the branches were moving more than they did with the smaller birds, it turned out to be a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker, she took a peanut and disappeared, how lovely.
Juvenile GSW

Here are a few of the birds that appeared in my short time at the hide.



Jenny Wren

Not quite sure what happened to this Black bird but if he is on the pull tonight I reckon he will be unlucky.
As you might guess it was not long before a squirrel paid a visit, he looked very contented sitting in the hedge chewing my nuts, and I was visited very briefly by another little mammal when this Field Mouse almost showed.
You can't see me, right?

All in all a very satisfactory couple of hours. As I walked across the field back to my car the sky was alive with House Martins, feeding up before their long trip to Africa, as I passed a high Hawthorn hedge I disturbed a Sparrow Hawk, I assume he was in waiting for his chance to snatch a House Martin, one little bird had a reprieve if only for a short time.