Saturday 23 March 2013

More Lardies

Following on from yesterdays update, I woke this morning like most of you did to find a white out. Spring is certainly here (I don't think) I thought it best to go down the hide and put some food down, its tough for the birds at the minute. So plenty of wild bird food, sunflower hearts, peanuts and a nice half of Squirrel for the Buzzards. It was bitterly cold and I did not intend staying long, but when the birds start to come it is difficult to drag yourself away. It was good fun watching the continuos struggles as the birds tried to out do each other and exert their authority over their rivals. After about an hour a smile came to my face, the reason was because our Moorhen has a new mate. You may recall how I found one of the pair dead, probably killed by a Sparrow Hawk, It could be this new mate is one of last years offspring.

Happy couple.



Plenty of photo opportunities of the usual species, and I took quite a few, but this next image I really like.

Chaffinch




My time is never wasted while the Peckers are about and they were great fun today, so I make no apologies for posting another video clip of them. I will try not to get too boring with these, but they are difficult to ignore, I hope you agree.




5 comments:

  1. such a rare sight but you captured it brilliantly. Well done Mick keep posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading all your blog it is so nice to see that the Moorhen has a new mate and will hopefully be producing some chicks, Lets hope it is on your pond so we can see the pics of the young ones. Please keep me up dated on the happy couple

    ReplyDelete
  3. still can't believe the lovely pic of the chaffinch

    ReplyDelete