Wednesday 6 March 2013

Owls about a new home.

Following on from my hectic day at the Manor tree planting, I decided to finally get around to a job I had been meaning to do for a few weeks now before it gets too late. Pete (the farmer) has kindly aloud me to use his land and barns for Bird watching etc, you may remember an earlier post where we sited a Barn Owl box last year, well we are now siting another in a different barn. The original box has had some interest but we wanted to give them a choice if needed. So having transported my bench saw, drill, screws and nails, the wood was supplied by Pete, I set to work knocking up a Barn Owl box. After an hour or so, you can see the results of my labour below, yes I know its not great, who do you think I am Barry Bucknall.

What is Pete doing?




Now we know.

Boys will be boys aye, what Pete will do when a Pigeon stars to build in there does not bare thinking about, but if he rings me soon to say I have some Buzzard food for you, I might have a pretty good idea. I know that this box is not as up market as the one my mate Kev made for me, but the Owl won't be too worried I'm sure.

Poser Pete.



Now I know from the next few images it will look like Pete is doing all the work, but I can assure you its not true, although he did climb the ladder a few times though. This barn looks like it has not seen any cattle for some time, but Pete tells me there will be some in there this year. Although he never admits to it he is a great fan of Jeramy Kyle and so usually he is nowhere to be seen in the afternoons, it would take a lot of work to get the barn ready for beast so I won't hold my breath.


After siting the Barney box, I set to at making a Little Owl box, we know there are a number of these lovely creatures about and it is one of my projects this year to try and study this species and bring you some images of this little beauty.

He's at it again look. The Little Owl box.

All that was left now was to chose a site. I already had one in mine around the back of the farm, but Pete preferred the side of the barn where  it could be seen from the farm house, he could keep his eye on it, I assume the other will be on Jeremy.


Come on you Little Owls.

No comments:

Post a Comment