Monday 14 June 2010

The weekend heralded the eagerly awaited Budgerigar Society Convention at the Royal Clifton hotel in Southport, this venue was used four years ago for the previous Convention and was a great success, this years event was no different.

Royal Clifton Hotel


Southport Attractions



The function was very well attended by all walks of the fancy from older fanciers to the newest of newest a six month old baby.

I was one of the lecturers at this event as I was four years before, a real honour to be asked back again, even more of an honour to be a joint speaker with one of my budgie hero's Jeff Attwood, probably the best budgie speaker the World has ever seen. I enjoyed our presentation and from the feedback we have received since so did the watching audience.

Other lecturers engaged included Brian Sweeting, Richard & Michael Miller, Kevin Eatwell, Ron Pearce & Marcel Buhler, Ghalib Al-Nasser with Lynn Bancroft and Ian Fielding also the partnership of Huxley & Marchant, well done to the BS for attracting such a great line up.

I only stayed until Saturday morning having arrived on Thursday afternoon, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The highlight for me was seeing Jeff Attwood receive the Silver Bird (the societies highest honour) for sevices to the Budgerigar society, a very worthy award for a wonderful man, well done mate.

Jeff receives his award from
The BS President Dave Herring



The Hotel is very impressive, the staff and food were very good, no wonder the society decided to return, I believe they will be returning in 2015, its a good job there is a nursing home next to the hotel, I reckon by then we BS members could fill it twice over.
I missed the actual bird show but from what I have heard there were some very good exhibits on display, I would like to say congratulations to Tony Pope from South Wales on his Best in Show award, a great guy and good supporter of the BS. The only downside to the weekend for me was England's draw with the USA, but I am sure we will get better, as my 87 year old Ma-in-Law would say "Come on England"