Sunday 8 August 2010

The trouble with me is I'm too happy

The forecast for Norfolk looked OK so off we set for a few more days on board Ruby Tuesday, we can't get away now for as long as we used to with the Ma-in Law as she is, but it's still nice to get to sunny Norfolk as often as we can. We arrived around tea time on Wednesday and unloaded the stuff from car, set up the TV Ariel and had a brew. It was a nice evening so I decided on a walk, Jak's was reading a book. I like to walk aroung the chalets that line the river, nosey I guess. On returning to the marina I saw a few Wagtails both Pied and Grey flitting around the boats. On closer inspection I noticed that they were actually stealing flies from the spiders web's, how enterprising I thought.

Cobweb thief



I watched a few Swallows catching flies as they swooped over a small grassy area in the next marina, there was also a large flock of Goldfinches flying overhead, I would estimate the numbers to be in excess of fifty. A great Crested Grebe was preening and stretching close to my boat and a female Blackbird juvenile came and landed next to me as I was watching a Greenfinch feeding it's chicks, all in all a very nice hour or so before Coronation Street.

Time for a stretch


Thursday morning we had a leisurely trip along the river, it's amazing the lack of boat traffic on the water in the first week of August as again we seem to have the river to ourselves.

All alone



A few short stops along the way, then a longer stop off close to Strumpshaw nature reserve in the hope of seeing the Otters that reside along the river. Almost everyone I speak to in recent times have seen the Otters, we have seen them on a couple of occasions but not lately. Our first sighting was last October and the most recent one was in April when a Dog Otter crossed the path in front of me. This time we were unlucky again but it was no less pleasurable looking for them.

I came across a few Dragon flies and always take the opportunity to try and photograph them, this this time was going to be no different as I waited for one of them to land. How frustrating seeing Common Hawkers flying around me but not being able to get close to one, today I would have to settle for a lovely Ruddy Darter. As Arnie would say "I'll be back"


Ruddy Darter



We got back to the marina around tea time so with Jak chilling I decided on a walk around the RSPB reserve, it looked very busy when we passed by earlier on the river, as it turned out I had the place to myself. I had a quick look around the pool at the side of reception, there was the usual noisy Black headed Gulls, a few Shoveler and Mallards and a lone Little Egret, I didn't bother taking any images from here as the light was straight at me so any pictures would have been silhouetted. As I walked toward the Fen hide I became aware of the total silence, not a sound could I hear, yes I have a blocked ear at the moment that needs syringing , but even allowing for that it was so quite. No birds to be seen or heard at all, that is until I came across a male Pheasant who was obviously enjoying helping himself to the many Blackberries around at present.

Blackberrying


Not much doing at Fen hide so I headed for the tower hide, I like this hide in the last few hours of the day as the sun sets behind it and can provide some stunning light, again there was the usual suspects around and I was pleased to see a few Lapwings feeding around the margins. I spotted a Chinese Water Deer on the left bank of the fen and watched as he seemed quite agitated, it took me a while to realise that this fella had decided he wanted the place to himself, any bird that dare land on his piece of bank was going to get short thrift. I was amused for around a half hour as he chased and chased anything that came near, and when he had seen them off he ran and jumped with joy then rolled on the ground, I felt privileged to have seen it

Get off my land


As the evening wore on I hoped that a few more birds would come in, but apart from a couple of Little Egrets and a Grey Heron that was about it. I had enjoyed my solitude on Strumpshaw Fen and my stomach was telling me it was time to head back to the boat, as I was closing the shutters in the hide the sun suddenly made an appearance from behind a huge cloud over the top of the hide, you know the sort of thing, just when you think that's it for the day, what a spectacle it gave me, I only wished I had another lens with me to capture the moment, I did get a shot but at 100mm it did not show the whole beauty I witnessed.

Sunblessed



Friday morning arrived with bright sunshine, followed soon after by my mate Tuppy who turned up with Julia after a very early start from Hull. Bloody hell I can feel a verse of Shining White Street coming on. After exchanging the usual pleasantries we decided to take a trip to Langley Dyke, I am always happy to visit this location as it gives me the chance to pursue my two main interests when in Norfolk, fishing and photography. Off we set, me and Jak in Ruby Tuesday and Geoff and Jules in Adagio. We arrived just over an hour later and moored up for the day.

The bank opposite the public mooring can be a haven at the right time for Butterflies and Dragons Flies. A quick brew and a chat to Tuppy who was setting up his fishing tackle in readiness for another very important fishing match (it usually takes him about 45 minutes so I felt safe in having an hour or so walk without worrying too much about him gaining too a big lead in the fishing stakes) I was amazed by the numbers of insects buzzing around and pleased to see a good number of Common Hawkers. This time I did manage a few shots as some of these wonderful creatures rested a while. I had noted that Tuppy had placed a couple of small fish in his net so it was time retain my title in the fishing stakes.


Common Hawkers







As we were fishing I became aware of a Great Crested Grebe tussling with a fish, a fish that was obviously too big for him, but if nothing else the Grebes are persistent so it was no surprise to me that this fella would spend the next twenty minutes trying to swollow the Roach. He had it in the correct position to swallow it on around eight or nine occasions, but in the end it was inevitable that he would have to give it up as a bad job and seek a smaller meal.

Too big for my belly






I know you are wondering how the fishing went, well suffice to say that I netted three for everyone of Geoff's, total eighteen to six. Jak had decided on a Cornish pasty for tea, but had forgot we would be away from our permanent mooring so no electricity, I said I would BBQ them, eager to try out my modification to my BBQ, needless to say they were a disaster as the bottoms burned, while the insides were still cold, I can't believe I did not take an image of them, even if to keep showing Jak if she ever wanted me to cook a meal again, but I fed them to the fish in disgust. I did capture my BBQ modification though.

I think an improvemen

t


Time to head back to the marina, again we had the river to ourselves as we pushed the tide. A large flock of Greylag geese heading towards us, they turned at the last minute and I guess proceeded to land on one of the many pools that border the river, there was an Albino amoungst them, shortly after that a small flock of Canada geese headed directly at our boats, it really did look like a head on, obviously they gave us a miss in time and I did manage a shot as they passed us by.


Fly past



Saturday saw the girls shopping, Geoff was fishing so I decided on another trip to the nature reserve, this time with a view of sticking it out in Fen hide for a few hours, the Otters have been regular visitors here,but not this time. I am glad I waited though as I was treated to the site of four Marsh Harriers feeding over the fen. One parent I think and three juveniles, one with a bloodied meal in its claws, too far for pictures but a great site in the binocular's. Suddenly a Kingfisher appeared in front of the hide, he stayed for around fifteen minutes as he dived and missed its prey, then dived and caught, this action was repeated a number of times. It's just a pity that it was overcast as the images could have been so much better.

A Favourite


I returned to the boat and waited for the girls to return, in due course they did and we decided to take the boats out again and moor in Surlingham Broad, a beautiful little Broad just off the main river Yare. We tied up together and did a bit more fishing. One of the reasons we moored where we did is because the area at the shallow end of the Broad is an attraction to birds, I was hoping to sight another Kingfisher. A grey Heron arrived after a short time and walked amoungst the sunken Wherries, this area was a dumping ground in days gone buy for Wherries that were passed their best.

Wherry dumping ground


Heron bath time


As expected a Kingy did turn up, spotted by Geoff a juvenile, we watched as it attempted to catch a meal, he hung around for quite some time flying from one favoured perch to another. I smiled to myself as I realised how lucky we were to be able to experience nature like this at close quarters.

Geoff continued to enjoy his fishing, and I well remember the days when I was as keen as he is at present. Jak and I had to laugh though when we heard him say "The trouble with me is I'm too happy"

A great few days away, I can't wait to get back to Norfolk again.