Thursday 10 January 2013

Jak's bought me a trap camera for Christmas, its a waterproof camera that takes both pictures and video,  also infra red night video so I was exited to get using it.

Trap Camera.



I set it for the first time in my feeding station area and caught a Fox having a poo, I might show you that at some point, but having worked out how to use it in the day, I really wanted to use it at night to capture footage of the Badgers that use the set on my patch. The set has been active for over 30 years as I know to and there was plenty of evidence around the set holes for me to feel confident.

I tied the camera to a tree looking towards the badger set, I also tied a dead Pheasant to another tree to see the reaction to it, by either a Badger or Fox.



The dead Pheasant over the entrance to the set.



All that was left was to set the camera and hope. Next day I returned to get the camera and the anticipation of what I might have captured was killing me, imaging how I felt when I opened up the camera to turn it off before going home to download the footage, only to note I had not switched the bugger on. Yes I am a prat. I gave myself a good talking to and refixed the camera. I returned next day, the Pheasant had not been touched, so I was wondering if I would have any footage at all. I need not have worried.

If you click to watch in Youtube, you can view in full screen.



The Pheasant remained untouched and I am not sure if I only caught one Badger or more, but I will be getting more footage as the Spring gets nearer to determine what time they start to show. I want to get close to these this year and get some images and hopefully more footage that is a little more exiting action than what you have just seen, stay tuned. By the way, the Fox was reacting to the Pheasant hanging from thee tree, over a 3 hour period I have footage of him coming back time and time again to investigate, the sly old bugger knew something was odd and never touched it.