Saturday 19 January 2013

The Weekend is here!

Yes I know I am retired and no every day is not the same. I love the weekend football on Saturday and a day off on Sunday. Well the weather put paid to the footy so I was all set to have a full day Buzzard watching. Firstly I paid a visit to the Badger set, it would be easier for me to spot the footprints around the area in the 6 inch of snow we have just had. I have to say there was not a lot to see, the foot prints from the Fox were evident as were the Badger, still not enough to give me the confidence that we have more than one Badger present (very worrying) A few sheep prints and that was that, apart from the new Badger toilet.

Badger Poo






It was interesting to note that one of the other entrances to the set was being used, again I can't say at this moment if it is our Badger or if he has a mate but we will find out in time I promise you that.

Second Entrance



I walked to the hide and it was evident that there had been a lot of activity here, I could see the grass as the birds had searched for any offerings. I topped up the feeders, put lots of free offering on the ground, cleared the snow off the duck and added a half Squirrel, surely this would tempt the Buzzard on a day when finding food would be tough. I was about to light the heater (yes I have more gas) when I heard the sound of a tractor, I opened the door and saw Joe the land owner, we chatted briefly before he went on his way to cut some logs from canal spinney. I decided this would probably put paid to the Buzzard paying me a visit, so after an hour or so I decided on a walk around the area, not before I got a quick shot of my old mate the GSW.



It was hard walking in such deep snow and how glad was I that I had decided to wear my moon boots?
I investigated a few potential Green Woodpecker nest sites ready for the Spring, then had a walk along the river Sense, not much about apart from a Grey Heron and a very startled Moorhen.

River Sense.





All in all a nice couple of hours, being Saturday though I would have rather have been at the Football.