Sunday 20 June 2010

Nature can be cruel

I decided on a couple of hours down the patch this afternoon as I needed to top up the feeders and make a repair following squirrel damage to my seed hopper. I always make a point of going past the Kestrel box to see what progress they are making, I looked up and saw four faces looking back at me, I guess the poorly one from earlier didn't make it but four is a good number. I looked back as I passed the nest not until I turned did I see the male Kestrel standing on the Cattle water trough, it took me by complete surprise as usually I can't get anywhere near him, I panicked as I tried to set my camera up, I had my tripod over my shoulder which slowed me down some, when I was ready to take a picture the lens would not focus, checking the settings proved they were fine, I was sure the Kestrel would fly soon, it turns out that my lens was set on manual focus from last night when I was taking images of hedgehogs, bugger I thought. The Kestrel decided he had had enough of me and hopped off the trough and away into some nearby nettles, a strange situation to say the least, he came out and perched on a sheep wire fence, it was obvious there was a problem with his wing, I did manage a couple of shots before he disappeared in the undergrowth of the hedgerow.



Injured male Kestrel
I was concerned for him and his chicks, if he can't fly he will be done for.
Moving to my feeding station I topped up the nut and sunflower heart feeders, and made a repair on my hopper, as you can see the squirrels cause havoc and are so determined to reach my seed.


Squirrel Damage

I sat in my hide for a couple of hours, it was so hot inside but with both front and back flaps open there was a nice breeze blowing through. Not a lot happening at the moment due to the abundance of natural food although the woodpecker paid a fleeting visit, and one or two juveniles i.e. Magpie, Great-tit and Goldfinch kept me entertained.

Juvenile Magpie
I was thinking about the Kestrels so decided to go back, I was so pleased to see the female standing on the edge of the nestbox with her chicks by her side, although I started to worry that she was waiting for the male to bring them a meal.

Hen Kes with chicks

I hope she will be able to manage to find enough food to keep the chicks and herself sustained, I am also hoping that the male is OK when I go back tomorrow but I have my doubts.
The longest day 21/06/10
I have been back today to the patch on three separate occasions to check on the Kestrels, the chicks looked fine as the peered over the edge of the nest box gazing into what will be their new world before long, I saw no sign of either parent although there was nothing strange about that. I spent some time at my hide but always on the lookout for one of the parent birds. No sign in the morning so I returned this afternoon for an hour again no sighting. I was not over worried yet, as I say the chicks look well but I wanted to know at least the hen bird was still around, so with this in my I returned for my third visit of the day, this time I was pleased to she the female sitting on a lofty perch as she surveyed a newly mown hay field, I guess she will find some easy picking here.


My thoughts are that if the weather stays fine and dry, and the fact that the days are as long as they get just now, our Kes's might just be lucky aye.